Thursday, January 19, 2012

Our Vulgar Bird Crackers

Warning: This blog contains some vulgar language.

We bought the cocketiel from a bird shop. The owner hand-fed the bird.  The bird accepted food from Joyce's hand too.  We bought a big cage for the cocketiel  and provided the bird with plenty of toys, food and water. We named the cocketiel Crackers. Eventually Crackers learned a few short phrases.

Every time my wife Joyce figured out what was wrong with something, she would say "Well, no wonder!"  One day Crackers was looking in his mirror and said "Well, no wonder!"

When I get frustrated, I emphatically use the word shit. Well guess what. One day -- while we were sitting on the couch watching TV, Crackers started violently shaking his head up and down saying "Shit shit shit . . ."  We were laughing so hard.

The other phrase I often used in my angry moments was a word that rhymed with "Muck!" One day . .While I was putting the cover over his cage I heard Crackers say "Well! ?uck you!"

I always say "Good night, Crackers" when I cover the cage. Sometimes Crackers echoes me. "Good night, Crackers" He also says "Crazy Crackers" and "Pretty Bird."

I often talk to Crackers. I say to him, "Crackers, you're not all you're cracked up to be!"

If I try to change his food or water late at night, Crackers hisses at me. So I decided to hiss back. We spent about two minutes hissing at each other.

On Saturday nights, my cousin would come over and sit in the chair beside the bird cage. If he ignored Crackers, Crackers would splash water on him.

Crackers is 19 years old now.  When he's angry at me he stares at me with his head held low.  If I had a chance to do it all over again, I'd buy the same bird.  Just hope he doesn't repeat any vulgar phrases while the priest who married us is here.

No comments: