Sunday, August 31, 2014

How I Cope With Anxieties and Depression

Many people suffer from anxieties and depression. My anxieties started when I was a young adult. The general symptoms of anxieties are worries and fears that magnify problems and events out of perspective.
My periods of depression started when I was in my fifties. My depression symptoms were uncontrollable long term feelings of hopelessness, despair and confusion. I use the word uncontrollable because everyone suffers from temporary feelings of hopelessness, despair and confusion but most people recover from those feelings. I don't know what triggered my depression or if anything triggered it. Both my anxieties and depression slowly got worse over the years.
As I aged, I also became more angry and frustrated. I would use vulgar language often when things were not working out. I would sometimes smash some inanimate object.
My anxieties and depression were affecting my performance at work. My supervisor recommended that I seek help. I knew he was right. During my annual physical, I asked my doctor to prescribe medication for my anxieties and depression. He prescribed ten milligrams of an antidepressant .
The antidepressant alleviated the vast majority of my anxieties and helped with my depression. The side effects of the antidepressant were sweating and lack of alertness. The sweating I didn't mind. But I did mind the fact that I wasn't as alert as I use to be. I still became frustrated and angry at times. I still used vulgar language a lot. But I didn't feel like I want to smash some inanimate object.
I eventually discovered that part of my problem was my allergies. I suffered from allergies all year long. When my allergies were acting up, I was even less alert. My allergies also affected my memory. I would repeat things I wanted to remember over and over again but could not retain the information. I asked the doctor for something to relieve my allergies and he recommended a mild antihistamine. Regular allergy medications resulted in nose bleeds. I started taking the mild antihistamine every day without nose bleeds.
While taking 10 mg of antidepressant plus the antihistamine, I was very tired. I would sleep ten or twelve hours a day. I wanted to be more productive. I decided to lower my intake of antidepressant to 5 milligrams a day in an effort to become more alert. It worked. I am more alert and productive than I've been in a decade. I only need eight hours of sleep a day. And my anxieties are still manageable.
Anxieties and depression can affect one's daily performance and even result in poor performance reviews at work. Depression is often accompanied by anger which also must be managed. I reduced my dosages of medication to a level wherein I could be alert and control my anger and my anxieties.
I am not stating that anyone should reduce his or her prescribed medication. I urge anyone who is thinking about reducing any prescribed medication to consult with his or her doctor and follow the doctor's recommendations.



No comments: